Advancing Neuroendocrine Cancer Research
Advancing Neuroendocrine Cancer Research is our new campaign launched in July 2023.
Research is fundamentally important as a means of providing a better understanding of any disease and therefore improving understanding and management options. Neuroendocrine cancer (NC) is complex, can affect multiple parts of the body, and is one of the less common cancers. This means NC patients are less well represented in research and so have less opportunities to benefit from novel advancements.
Neuroendocrine Cancer UK (NCUK) will use this campaign to have a meaningful impact on how Neuroendocrine Cancer research is done and to fund further quality research that supports patients both today and in the future.
Text NCRESEARCH followed by your donation amount to 70085 to give that amount. Texts will cost the donation amount plus one standard network rate message.
What is research?
Medical research is vitally important as a way of investigating and exploring a disease area to learn more about that disease. It can lead to discoveries around causes and cures of disease as well as improvements with regard to new ways of making people feel better and new treatment options.
Why do we need this campaign?
Challenges in the field of research for Neuroendocrine Cancer:
- Neuroendocrine Cancer is a complex disease with a high unmet need and would benefit from research to bring a better understanding of the condition and better management options.
- Neuroendocrine Cancer patients miss out on funding for research because there is low awareness of the disease and therefore fewer research projects undertaken.
- There is a need for more research to increase the understanding of this disease and bring greater evidence for guidelines.
Advancing Research for Neuroendocrine Cancer Objectives
Advancing Neuroendocrine Cancer Research aims to raise more funds for Neuroendocrine Cancer research to support those with the condition both today and in the future. Our 2-pronged approach to achieving our aims:
1. To help our community now, we will fund at least 3 practice-changing grants a year. The aim of these is to find new and practical ways to improve the lives and experience of people with neuroendocrine cancer (outcomes must be shown within 12 months). These grants are practical in nature, open to any healthcare professional and must demonstrate a clear benefit for people with NC. For more information on these grants, please click here.
2. Funding ‘big question’ research over the medium-longer term to achieve ‘big answers’ to improving the understanding and management of Neuroendocrine Cancer. Big questions include what causes the disease, genetic implications, genomics, reducing delays to diagnosis, further understanding of NC, and enabling access to better treatments and management options.
Advancing Neuroendocrine Cancer Research Plans 2022-2025
- We will work closely with both those with the disease and healthcare professionals (HCPs) to ensure the whole community is involved in deciding which research projects Neuroendocrine Cancer UK funds.
- We will undertake market research and produce a survey to understand research needs of both of those with the disease and HCPs and determine key focus areas.
- We will engage our community around what research is and the different types.
- We will fund at least 3 practice-changing grants of up to £10,000 a year totalling £30,000.
- We will ensure all research funded is of a high quality, as identified by a robust and stringent funding process.
- We will start raising funds and working with larger research organisations to answer the big questions now and for the next 3 years.
Neuroendocrine Cancer UK is excited to announce a partnership with RareCan to help grow cohorts of people with neuroendocrine cancer, empowering them to share data and information about their cancer, and in turn, help drive research to enable improvements to treatment and outcomes in the future.
RareCan is a digital health company, building a community of members who are willing to share information about their cancer. It gives power to patients building cohorts, so that researchers can find them in a keystroke. Established in 2020, RareCan also offers a suite of tools, co-designed by its members, to help support them and manage their lives as they live with their rare cancer.
RareCan makes it much easier for researchers to find people who are diagnosed with neuroendocrine cancer each year and gives this community the opportunity to say they are ready and willing to take part in research.
Please take a look: https://rarecan.com/
Ancora.ai is a company that connects cancer patients with trials and empowers patients to understand what trials are happening where.Clinical trials can provide patients with innovative treatments. Ancora.ai helps patients find personalised trial options. It makes the ongoing trials more accessible and easier to understand.
It has a research database of all ongoing cancer trials, including neuroendocrine cancer and offers an easy way of finding if there is a relevant clinical trial for you and near you.
We are delighted to be able to let people know about the Ancora database and suggest you have a look to see if it could be beneficial to you. It is easy to use, fast and free.
Please go and explore their website Ancora – Humanizing clinical trials with AI.
Text NCRESEARCH followed by your donation amount to 70085 to give that amount.
Texts will cost the donation amount plus one standard network rate message.
Join our ‘Virtual Pathway Challenge’ and raise funds for neuroendocrine cancer research. Visit our fundraising page for more info.